- Sugar snaps have a rounder shape than mangetout, a crunchy texture and very sweet flavor.
- Mangetout are flat with very small peas inside and have a mild flavor. They are also called snow peas.
- Both are a kind of pea and have been cultivated for thousands of years.
- Inside the pods you will find the famous little peas !
- During cooking, the sugar snaps stay crunchy and green.
- A staple food in early times, peas were left in Egyptian tombs, hot pea soup was sold on the streets of ancient Athens, and fried peas were sold like popcorn at the Roman theatres.
- You can’t eat them raw, cook, stir-fry or steam them first. Just a few minutes is enough!
- The plants produce white, pink or purple flowers which are usually pollinated by insects.
- They belong to the legume family. Legumes have special nodules on their roots which enable them to take nitrogen from the air and fix it in the soil. These plants therefore enrich the soil they grow in.