Some interesting facts about aubergines:
- A ripe aubergine has a matte gloss and yields slightly under finger pressure. Choose one which is not too light - it might be limp and dehydrated.
- You can keep aubergines for 3-7 days at 15° C.
- Aubergines grow (like tomatoes) from vines of a plant.
- Italians call the aubergine ‘melanzane’ which means ‘crazy apple’.
- They come in purple, white or purple-white striped.
- When they are white and small they look exactly like eggs, which is why they are also called ‘eggplant’ in America.
- Aubergines belong to the berry family.
- Never peel them! The peel contains lots of valuable vitamins.
- Aubergines are often used as a substitute for meat.