Interesting facts about Limes:
- Limes are native to India. They were probably introduced in the New World in the late 15th century by Christopher Columbus, who carried lime seeds with him on his second voyage.
- Lime juice is used in cooking and in drinks. Lime oils are often used in perfumes and cosmetics.
- Limes sink whereas lemons float
- Limes are rich in potassium
- Limes contain Vitamin C, which combats scurvy. During the 19th century, English soldiers were therefore rationed with one lime (which cost less than lemons) a day. This is why the English are sometimes called Limeys.
- One lime tree can produce over 1000 fruits annually
- The bigger the leaves the smaller the limes