Interesting facts about brussels sprouts:
- To ensure even cooking throughout you can cut a cross into the center of the stem.
- Brussels sprouts stay greener when salt is added after cooking them.
- Cook for a short time or stir-fry if you want to avoid bitterness and odor.
- Brussels sprouts were first grown in Belgium in 1587.
- The edible sprouts grow like buds along the side of long, thick stalks of about 60 to 120 cm in height.
- Brussels sprouts are a traditional winter stock vegetable and are considered sweetest after a frost.