Some interesting facts about grapefruits:
- The grapefruit looks similar to an orange and frequently has a flat bottom.
- The most commonly known grapefruit varieties are white and pink flesh grapefruits.
- The color of the peel depends on the variety. It is mostly yellow but may be tinged with green or red.
- In the early days it was referred to as the "Forbidden Fruit" and later its name was changed to grapefruit as it grows in large grape-like bunches.
- It contains a powerful antioxidant called lycopene, which also contributes to the pinkish color in the fruit. Lycopene is a carotenoid phytonutrient and has the highest capacity at fighting free radical damage to cells- a very important antioxidant to have in your diet.
- Eating grapefruit has also been shown to help decrease weight and fat mass in overweight adults and may improve insulin resistance.
- When buying grapefruit, the best ones will be heavy for their weight- this indicates they have much more water and are ripe.
- A good way to get rid of sore throats and reduce fits of a cough is by consuming grapefruit, mixed with warm water and honey. It soothes the throat and provides instant relief to the patients.