Mothers and children
Many women switch to organic food when they are pregnant or breast feed. That makes sense, because children have very low bodymass and are therefore more sensitive to pesticide remains in their food. Babies are even more susceptible because harmful substances can very easily reach their brains in the first phases of life. Research shows that children who eat conventional fruits and vegetables have traces of pesticides in their urine. As soon as they turnen to organic food, these traces disappeared from their urine. Another study showed that morther who eat organic dairy, have more healthy fatty acids in their mothers milk. The Dutch Authority for Food Quality Control finds most pesticide residues in apples, grapes, mandarins and strawberries. Residues are found in 95% of all Dutch apples, with an average of 4 different pesticides. Organic cultivation does not apply chemical pesticides and is therefore a sensible choice for your child.
A recent study from Newcastle University, published in the British Journal of Nutrition, states that organic food contains more anti-oxidants and lower levels of pesticides. It is said to be the most complete literature study so far.
In 2009, a Dutch study, published by the Louis Bolk Institute and RIKILT, compiled the recent scientific data up to then, and attributed levels or certainty to several claims. The more stars, the more certainty. Some of the results are:
- ****: Organic fruits and vegetables contain more bioactive substances such as anti-oxidants.
- ***: Organic fruits and vegetables have higher levels of vitamin C.
- ***: Organic fruits and vegetables contain less pesticide residues.
- ***: Organic dairy products contain higher lever of omega-3 and CLA fatty acids.
- ***: There are less antibiotics resistant bacteria in organic pigs and chickens.
- **: Organic food may play a rol in protection against alleries and boost the immune system.